Don't ask me how or why beans bake so well but they are able to make flourless, healthier, fibre rich baked goods like nothing else. Guess what? NO bean taste! I know this sounds crazy... but you have to trust me and make these muffins. Thank me later :)
Chocolate Black Bean Muffins
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or 4 large)
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree or unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp milk (I used unsweetened chocolate almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark)
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (a blend, not an isolate)
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 3/4 cup Stevia In The Raw
- 1 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
Place the beans in a blender or food processor. Add the milk. Blend well until smooth.
Add the remaining ingredients, continuing to blend until well mixed, smooth and glossy.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake for about 22 minutes, checking at 20 minutes. Do not over bake or they will be dry!
Remove from oven and let cool. Wrap tightly and store in fridge.
*These are excellent with a smear of peanut butter over the top!
Per muffin: 60 calories, 1 g fat, 9g carbs, 3.3g fiber, 7.5g protein