Thursday, November 25, 2010

Vanilla Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Caramel Sauce

 I pretty much guarantee my sweet grandma is looking down from heaven shaking her head as I write this post....she'd be terribly disappointed with what I'm about to do- tell you how great this cake is. And a pound cake at that....which gets it's fame to name from 1 pound each of butter, sugar, flour. Now us girls that prefer to keep a tight figure, that just doesn't sound like easy to pull on skinny jean days ahead.

So grandma, I'm sorry. But I believe a girl can bake her cake and eat it too! In moderation of course, once in a while treat even if it is healthier. I'm happy, you'll be happy and girls, the scale will be too.



Vanilla Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Caramel Sauce
  • 8 oz tub nonfat cream cheese, room temp
  • 10-12 drops Vanilla-Creme Stevia drops
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat or pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (nonfat or 2%)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl using electric beaters, cream the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites, beating well on high until fluffy. Mix in the yogurt, stevia and vanilla. Stir in the flours, half at a time, mixing until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until dark golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let rest in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Caramel Sauce
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 box sugar free butterscotch pudding mix
  • 1 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • 1 tsp maple extract
In a small saucepan slowly heat the oil and milk. Sprinkle in the pudding mix, whisking until dissolved. Stir until slightly thickened and then add the extract. Remove from heat and let sit a few minutes to thicken a bit more before serving with cake slices.

    3 comments:

    1. This looks perfect, indeed. I don't usually eat pound cake on its own, but the sauce makes it a tempting indulgence. Hope you had a wonderful TG!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love just plain pound cake, perfect with a tea, coffee,or hot chocolate..just wonderful! Also I love that you add maple-caramel syrup!

      ReplyDelete
    3. With that maple caramel sauce, I just bet this is perfect! We never had pound cake around xmas, I always think of it in conjunction with summer berries. But now I think it would be great for Christmas Day dessert!

      ReplyDelete