Friday, September 23, 2011

'Fall' In Love With Pumpkin Pie Granola

Ahhh tis' the season of comfort food upon us. Cooler days and chilly, darker nights somehow make us fill our brim with food that makes you feel all cozy and warm inside. I adore this time of year for so many reasons, but one is without a doubt all about the food. Sweet spice inspirations and autumn produce- I wait all year for it. Comfort food gets a bad rep as being on the not so figure friendly side. Who said it had to be that way though.....I disagree. Hold onto those appetites, I have a whirlwind of blissful fall comfort food coming up!

Pumpkin- hands down one of my favorite foods. And can I just tell you how incredibly good for you it is? Low calorie, full of fiber, healthy carbs, beta-carotene, anti-oxidants and did I mention just how super filling it can be!

One of my friends was crying about missing granola earlier this week. Sure thing, store-bought varieties are full of sugar and excess not-so-healthy fats. But it can be good for you!!!! Make it at home, lighten it up and lay on the sweet spices in a hefty way that will have you falling back in love with FALL PUMPKIN GRANOLA. oh yes!


  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup golden flaxseeds
  • 1 to 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I like lots, but use less if you want)
  • 4 packs stevia
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (grade b ideally)
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree

Preheat over to 275 degrees F. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.
 
Mix the pumpkin, maple syrup and egg white together. Toss together the dry ingredients and add to the pumpkin mixture, tossing until evenly coated.

Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack until totally cooled. Store in an air tight container.

This is so yummy sprinkled on thick greek yogurt with roasted apples or sliced figs.

Makes 8 servings (approx. 1/3 cup)
Per Serving: 135 calories, 5g fat, 20g carbs, 4g fiber, 5g protein

5 comments:

  1. I'm making this today, just opened up a can of pumpkin for pancakes this morning.. now it needs to go in some granola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore making pumpkin granola at home! No oil needed just pure delicious healthy goodness!

    by chance is this jennifer from the once maple cornbread? I was so sad to see that blog disappear and then stumbled upon your profile picture from a comment on another blog and thought I recognized you, if I'm mistaken sorry! If not, it's great to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fallon- this is even worth going to get a new can of pumpkin ;)

    Steph- HI!!! :) YES indeed it is me!!! :) I removed the previous blog due to life changes ;) It is great to see you again!

    GIG- Thanks, let me know if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH! so excited to have found you again! Totally adding you to my RSS :)

    ReplyDelete